What is a Bridging Open Work Permit?


It is designed for temporary foreign workers when waiting for an answer regarding their permanent residency. Its to help bridge their time in Canada between their current work permit and their eligibility Your application must be in the following categories to be eligible:

  • Federal Skilled Worker class (FSW);
  • Canadian Experience class (CEC);
  • Federal Skilled Trades class (FSTC)
  • Caring for children class or caring for people with high medical needs; or
  • Provincial nominee programs (PNP) – with the exclusion of nominees identified by the nominating province or territory as having employment restrictions imposed as conditions of the nomination).

The officer will issue a bridging work permit if following conditions have been confirmed.

◦the permanent residence application under one of the classes mentioned above has been found eligible;
◦the applicant is currently in Canada;
◦the applicant currently holds a valid work permit that will expire within the next four months and there are no other issues of concern;
◦the work permit application is for an open work permit; and
◦the open work permit holder fee and work permit processing fee have both been paid.

Applicants who do not qualify for a bridging work permit are as follows:
◦Applicants who can work in Canada without a work permit.
◦Applicants whose temporary resident status expired and they need to apply for a restoration.
◦Applicants whose work permits are valid for longer than four months or who already have a new LMIA that can be used as the basis for a new work permit application.
◦Applicants who make their application for a bridging work permit at a Port of Entry (airport or border).
◦The spouse and dependant of the principal permanent resident applicant are not eligible to apply for bridging work permits; however some spouses can apply for work permits under the accompanying open work permit category. Dependent children of a permanent residence applicant in any of the economic classes listed above who wish to apply for an open work permit must obtain an LMIA or have an LMIA exemption based on their specific situation.
◦Provincial nominees who have not submitted a copy of their nomination letter with their application, or whose nomination letter specifically indicates they have employment restrictions (ie. their nomination is tied to a specific employer).
Please contact our office for a full consultation.